Halayang Ube is one of the popular Filipinos delicacies and often cook during Christmas and New Year. Every year my mother always cook halayang ube with suman as partner of halayang ube.
1 kilo ube yam root
1/2 kilo gabi (taro root)
1/2 cup margarine
3 cans condensed milk (12 ounces)
2 can evaporated milk (12 ounces)
1/2 cup dairy cream
1/2 cup grated cheese
1/4 kilo sugar
2 cups of water
1. In a big pot, boil the unpeeled ube yam and gabi and simmer for about 30 minutes.
2. Peeled the ube yam and gabi after draining and cooling.
3. Grate the ube yam and gabi.
4. In a casserole, add water and bring to boil.
5. Add sugar to boiling water and put the grated ube yam and gabi.
6. Put the margarine and dairy cream and mix well.
7. Keep mixing the ingredients for 30 minutes and add condensed and evaporated milk. Continue to mix for another 15 minutes or until sticky and add grated cheese while mixing.
8. Remove from heat and let cool and place in the platter.
9. Refrigerate before serving
• You may add latik or fried coconut milk solids on top of halayang ube.
• You may also spread additional margarine on top.