Convertible or 2 in 1 laptop are different from traditional laptops because they can be used in both laptop mode and tablet mode. They are more versatile than a laptop because of the built-in touch screen that allows for seamless switching between traditional laptop and tablet mode.
Students use the laptops to perform academic tasks like taking notes, preparing and editing documents for college or school projects, creating presentations, and more.
Some convertibles come with a detachable keyboard that is attached using a magnetic strip that allows it to be easily removed when the laptop is used as a tablet. This is very helpful when you want to use the laptop for writing notes or making other hand-written markings because it allows for better comfort.
It is also helpful when you want to use the laptop as a tablet because it provides more screen space which makes using your touch screen easier. The keyboards are sturdy and generally have nice tactile feedback which makes typing feel easy and comfortable.
This article will put together some of the best 2 in 1 laptops with different price ranges, operating systems (Windows or Android) and weights. We will also review some of the pros and cons of each to help you make an informed decision on which one might work best for you!
Companies such as HP, Lenovo, Asus, Samsung offer a wide variety of different 2 in 1 laptops that differ in style, size, weight and other specifications.
Best 2 in 1 Laptop For Students
Here is a list of the best 2 in 1 laptops for students who want to take their work and school on the go.
HP Pavilion X360 Convertible Laptop
The HP Pavilion X360 Convertible laptop is a Windows 10 laptop that comes in many different colors and can convert from a laptop to tablet. The screen size is 11.6″ and has a touchscreen with 1366 x 768 resolution.
It has a microSD reader, a USB 3.0 port, and a USB 2.0 port along with a headphone jack and webcam. The weight is about 3.31 pounds (not including the keyboard). The processor is an Intel Core i5 which allows for smooth multitasking and web browsing. It has a 6-cell battery with a battery life of up to 8 hours which is an improvement from the previous model that had a 5-cell battery.
The laptop is perfect for students and professionals alike because it is lightweight, has a long battery life and is highly portable. This laptop has a great price point and is definitely worth your consideration.
- It is a solid 1366 x 768 screen
- 8-cell battery lasts a long time
- Has multiple USB ports that include USB 3.0 and USB 2.0
- Great price point that is affordable even for students on a budget.
- The keyboard is very tight and makes it hard to type without making mistakes
Asus Zenbook Flip Laptop
The Asus Zenbook Flip is yet another solid laptop that would be great for students. It has a 13.3″ touchscreen, an Intel Core m3 processor, and weighs about 3 pounds (not including the keyboard). It has 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage.
It has a USB 3.0 port, a USB 3.1 port, a microSD slot and a headphone jack. It is powered by Windows 10 and comes in gold, silver, blue and rose gold. This laptop is equipped with a 50Wh battery that can last up to 12 hours for general use or up to 10 hours of video playback.
This laptop has an anti-glare matte display which makes it great for using in the sunlight.
The Laptop is an excellent choice for students due to its portability, performance and ease of use.
- 13.3″ touchscreen display
- Great portability and is lightweight
- Has 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage space, so it runs smooth on the fly. Awesome for students to work on assignments in the classroom at school or at home without having to worry about it crashing or slowing down.
- Great price point that is affordable even for students on a budget.
- While only weighing 3 pounds, it does weigh a little more than some other laptops on this list at 3.1 pounds with the keyboard attached. This may make it difficult to carry around in a bag if you want to take your laptop to class or do work outside of class.
Lenovo Ideapad 720S
This laptop comes with touch screen capabilities and the ability to convert from laptop to tablet when desired. It has a large 15.6″ display and comes with Windows 10 operating system.
It has a 1.6GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of solid state storage. It also has 5-hour battery life and is equipped with an integrated Intel HD Graphics 520 GPU for gaming or media production needs.
The battery life is very comparable to the other laptops on this list because it is powered by a 50Wh lithium ion battery that can last up to 7 hours. The keyboard is spill resistant to protect against accidents.
This laptop is a great choice for students who need a laptop that can be easily carried in the classroom or carry-on bag for class since it is light and compact. It comes in several different colors including black, silver, blue and rose gold.
- 15.6″ touchscreen display making it great for watching movies, browsing the web and more.
- Amazing battery life that lasts for up to 7 hours when used for general purposes or up to 6 hours of video playback, which is on par with many of the laptops on this list.
- The touch screen capability along with its ability to convert from laptop to tablet makes it perfect for students who need a laptop in the classroom but want something they can take notes on, watch videos or browse the web with when not in class.
- It comes with Windows 10, which is very simple for students to learn and doesn’t take up unnecessary space on a student’s school-issued laptop.
- Has Intel Core i7 processor with 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of storage memory that can handle anything thrown at it.
- The battery life could be better, but this is where most high-performance laptops fall short.
ASUS Google Chromebook Flip C302CA
This is a great Chromebook that has a stylus and the ability to convert to a tablet when desired. It has a 11.6″ display, which is larger than most of the other laptops on this list, with an LED back light. It comes in 3 colors: sapphire blue, rose gold and magenta pink.
It is powered by a Rockchip RK3288 processor with 2 GB of LPDDR3 RAM and 16 GB of storage memory. It is great for running applications such as Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Gmail. It has a USB 3.1 Type-C port, a micro HDMI port and 2 USB 3.0 ports.
The battery life is comparable to the Asus Chromebook C202 because it has a Rockchip RK3288 processor with a 5270mAh Li-polymer battery to keep it running all day long at up to 13 hours according to ASUS.
- It has a stylus, making it perfect for writing assignments or creating content for class.
- The screen is larger than other Chromebooks and has the added benefit of a backlight, which makes it great for reading.
- Has an Intel Celeron N2840 processor with 2 GB of LPDDR3 RAM and 16 GB of storage memory that can handle any task thrown at it.
- Has a bigger storage memory than most of the other Chromebooks on this list.
- The battery life is about 12 hours, which is comparable to other Chromebooks.
- Has a classic design with a full-sized keyboard and touchpad. Thus, it is the best laptop for students who prefer traditional laptops.
- The screen resolution is not HD.
- It does not support Google Hangouts.
- The keyboard may seem a bit small for some users, but this is true of most laptops.
- Has an intergalactic alien as a mascot. Yup! What’s the best hybrid laptop on sale today? Check out our list of the best hybrid laptops that you can buy in 2017.
Lenovo Yoga 900
The Lenovo Yoga 900 is the thinnest and lightest hybrid laptop in this list. At just three pounds, you can easily take this laptop anywhere from your college dorm to the office. The Lenovo Yoga 900 has a unique watchband hinge that is not just a gimmick but also allows you to open and close the laptop with one hand. It has impressive sound for a laptop; pair it with your nice headset and enjoy an immersive experience while watching your favorite movie in bed.
The Yoga 900 has a touch screen that is made for drawing and writing. Take notes in class or just enjoy Netflix on your favorite movie or TV show. It comes in a sleek silver color giving it an elegant look that is great for the professional on the go.
- Is very light at just three pounds, making it easy to take anywhere from your college dorm room to the office and everywhere in between.
- Has a touchscreen that makes for easy and comfortable drawing and writing.
- Comes in a sleek silver color that is perfect for the professional on-the-go.
- Is not built to last due to its lightweight build, so it may be more susceptible to getting damaged or worn out quickly when used by a heavy user. It may also become difficult to dial up as the keyboard becomes worn out over time.
What Features To Look Out For In A Student Laptop
Some of the most important features to look for in a student laptop are:
1) Battery Life: Look for a student laptop with at least 8 hours of battery life. This should be more than enough time for you to finish your schoolwork or assignments between classes, meetings, and study sessions.
2) Touch Screen: Look for a touchscreen display with touch-screen capabilities when possible, this allows easy navigation as well as being able to take notes on assignments without the need of an additional stylus.
3) Storage: Look for a laptop with at least 256 GB of storage as this will allow you to transfer files effortlessly between your laptop and other devices without having to worry about running out of space.
4) Processor: Look for a processor that is capable of handling any task thrown at it as well as being able to handle multitasking. This may be different for every student depending on their workload, but the more advanced the processor, the better.
5) RAM: Look for at least 8 GB of RAM as this will allow you to efficiently and swiftly multitask between projects as well as allows you to enjoy a better overall experience.
6) Size: Look at the size and weight of your laptop. Make sure that it will be comfortable to take in and out of your bag as well as carry for extended periods of time.
7) Keyboard: Look for a laptop with a keyboard that has adjustable backlit keys to change the color of the keys according to what you are typing or viewing on your screen. This helps prevent eye strain as well as having an easier time reading in dim lighting settings or doing homework in the dark.
8) Wireless: Look for a laptop that is equipped with high-speed wireless capability. This makes it easier to connect to the Internet on class days and allows for faster communication between students, teachers, and instructors.
9) Ports: Look for a laptop with at least one USB 2.0 port as well as one USB 3.0 port to connect peripherals such as your flash drive or external hard drive without having to wait for the ports to load up or get caught in cables.
10) Software: Look for a laptop that comes with the standard Microsoft Office programs as well as other programs such as Adobe Photoshop and/or Microsoft Excel.
Wrapping It Up
When choosing a laptop for school, you must consider many factors such as size, weight, and battery life. Many of the laptops on this list are great options for college-bound students whether you need a lightweight laptop to carry around campus or a larger laptop to use in the classroom.
With the right laptop, you can all still have a great time doing homework, catching up on shows on Netflix, or working on your next paper assignment.