Rebooting is one of the most common actions performed by PC users. Why? Because rebooting helps solve numerous problems that may occur on your Asus laptop. Your computer might get hung up due to a glitch in the operating system, or it might need a restart to fix other issues.
When you have a problem with your computer, the first step is to turn it off and then back on. This can solve almost all problems and also restart some computers.
It is also recommended that you try out these simple steps before you take your computer to an authorized service center or a professional computer help center so that you can save money.
Before we start with the steps, there are some things to remember first: Make sure that your laptop is fully charged and working properly otherwise it might not work normally when the power is on again.
In this article, we’ll cover several ways to reboot an Asus laptop or any laptop.
Method #1 Use start menu button
Whether you’re new to Windows 10 or looking for a quicker way to get started on your PC, the start button is your friend. The start menu can be used to launch applications and access settings, like updating drivers or accessing OneDrive. You can find this button on the bottom left corner of your screen or you can use the windows button on your keyboard.
- Make sure all the projects you are working on are saved before you try to reboot.
- Click on the windows icon on the bottom left corner of your screen or you could use the windows button on your keyboard.
- Click on the power button and a list of options should show up.
- Click on restart from the list of options.
This is the basic method to reboot your computer. Just make sure that you have saved everything that you were working on before you try to restart your laptop using this method.
Method #2 Use the keyboard shortcut
The keyboard shortcut method of rebooting your laptop is easier to follow than most. You will find that it works in most cases and there are no extra steps or any special settings or instructions for this method.
We will look at two keyboard shortcuts that you can use to reboot your Asus laptop:
1. Ctrl + Alt + Del
- Press and hold down the Control (Ctrl) + Alternate (Alt) + Delete (Del) keys at the same time.
- Wait for a new window or menu to appear.
- At the bottom right of your screen you will see a power icon, click on it and a menu should appear.
- Click on Restart.
2. Windows + X
- Press on the Windows key + X at the same time.
- You will be presented with a menu, select Shut Down or Sign Out a list should appear.
- Click on Restart.
This is the fastest and most straightforward method to reboot your Asus laptop. It’s used mostly when your laptop is unresponsive or has frozen and the only way to get it working again is to reboot it.
Method #3 Use the command prompt
The command prompt is a text-based interface that allows you to enter commands to perform specific tasks. This method is a little bit more technical than the previous two methods, but it’s still relatively easy to follow.
- Press on the Windows key + R at the same time, and a Run dialogue box should appear.
- Type cmd and press Enter.
- A command prompt window should appear.
- Type shutdown /r and press Enter.
- Wait while the computer restarts.
This is a great method to use if you’re comfortable using the command prompt or if you’re having trouble rebooting your laptop using the other methods.
You can add additional parameters to your cmd command to add restart delay. Example
Shutdown /r –t 60 will restart your laptop in 60 seconds.
Method #4 Use the power button
This is the most basic method of rebooting your laptop and it’s also the most common. All you need to do is press and hold the power button for a few seconds and your laptop will reboot.
- Press and hold the power button for 3-5 seconds.
- Wait for 5-10 seconds after your laptop turns off.
- Press power button again to power your laptop back on.
This is the easiest method to reboot your laptop, but it’s also the most destructive. This method should only be used as a last resort when you can’t reboot your laptop using any of the other methods.
When should you restart your Asus Laptop?
There are a few scenarios where you might need to restart your laptop.
- When your laptop is unresponsive and you can’t close any programs or open the start menu.
- When your laptop is running slow and you want to see if a restart will help speed things up.
- After you’ve installed new programs or updates.
- When you’re troubleshooting a problem and you want to see if a restart will fix it.
- When your laptop has been on for a long time and you want to give it a break.
What to do before you restart your laptop?
There are a few things you should do before you restart your laptop.
- Save any open files and close any programs you’re working on.
- Connect to any network drives you might need.
- Check for any updates that need to be installed.
- Restart any background programs you might need.
Wrapping It Up
Rebooting your laptop rather than simply turning it off and on is a faster process. This can be helpful in cases where time is a factor, especially if you’re in the middle of an important project. With these tips and tricks, you should have no problem rebooting your laptop the next time the occasion calls for it.
But if you find yourself tackling a particularly stubborn problem with your PC, remember to look online for help. Chances are that someone has already experienced your problem and already solved it!